Thursday 2 May 2013

More Folk Trees and Birds


I actually drew this Folk Tree last year, it was originally only intended to be for Christmas cards but it's still one of my favorite designs, perhaps because of the patterns and symmetry or maybe because the lines look so crisp and clean. I'm always striving for perfection and working by hand means this is probably unobtainable but for now I'm happy to keep trying. I like to work as large as possible and then reduce the size of my drawings because it helps makes the lines look smoother. This Folk Tree is A4 but the birds are both actually A5 and when reduced the lines became very fine so I'm amazed at how well they screen printed. 


I was hoping to print an edition of these Folk Trees on 300gsm soft white Somerset Satin printmaking paper. Unfortunately when I went to buy more paper from Cass Arts in London they had almost doubled the price of Somerset Satin from £3.50 to £6.50 which seems a bit excessive. I've printed some of the edition on Fabriano paper and the rest will have to wait until I've found some reasonably price Somerset Satin.

No comments:

Post a Comment